I am pleased to learn that “astonish” does not derive from a word meaning “turn to stone”, but from extonare (Latin), to be thunderstruck.
- 03.009 Bilbo was astonished.
- 03.020 “Most astonishing wonderful!”
- 04.048 in their astonished eyes.
- 06.014 Gandalf was as astonished as any of them,
- 08.118 and to the great astonishment of the dwarves he vanished.
- 08.121 and charged into the astonished spiders
- 10.018 Their astonishment was enormous
- 10.037 amid scenes of astonishing enthusiasm.
Harper, Douglas. “Astonish”. Online Etymology Dictionary. Web.