I love that even in The Hobbit the rich interconnectedness of the tongues which Tolkien played like an orchestra can be heard as nearby echoes. Here we see the translation of goblins – a Hobbit enemy – into “orc” – their usual name in Lord of the Rings.
[03.035] This, Thorin, the runes name Orcrist, the Goblin-cleaver in the ancient tongue of Gondolin;
- 03.035 This, Thorin, the runes name Orcrist,
- 04.033 They had called it Orcrist,
- 04.041 Orcrist, too, had been saved;
- 06.012 and everywhere with Orcrist.
- 10.025 and the great sword Orcrist too.
- 18.032 Upon his tomb the Elvenking then laid Orcrist,