Please note “smoke rings” with no hyphen at [04.013] and [07.116]. The Chapter 8 quote refers to blowing them back in the Shire.
- 01.011 But I have no time to blow smoke-rings this morning.
- 01.012 and blew out another even bigger smoke-ring.
- 01.068 he sent a smaller smoke-ring from his short clay-pipe
- 01.068 Then Gandalf’s smoke-ring would go green
- 01.068 He was blowing the most enormous smoke-rings,
- 01.068 he loved smoke-rings –
- 01.068 of the smoke-rings he had sent up the wind over The Hill.
- 04.013 and blew smoke rings,
- 07.116 this is a splendid place for smoke rings!
- 08.092 besides blowing smoke-rings,
Update 2016.05.02: I have added the “food” tag, as blowing smoke rings has to do with smoking, using a comforting consumable. Caveat lector.
Hyphenated in its sub-entry.
“smoke, n.” OED Online, Oxford University Press, June 2017, http://www.oed.com/view/Entry/182698. Accessed 21 September 2017.