The other instance of “plate” may be found under “gold-plated“. I had always assumed that this word was related quite directly to “flat”; the sources of the word turn out to be a complex and lovely dance between words for “flat” and for various metals – which can be presented as flat bits or plating, but not necessarily.
- 01.058 and glasses and plates and spoons
- 01.060 the plates and glasses.
- 01.063 balancing columns of plates,
- 01.064 Chip the glasses and crack the plates!
- 01.067 So, carefully! carefully with the plates!
- 07.116 At last Gandalf pushed away his plate
“plat, adj. and adv.” OED Online. Oxford University Press, March 2016. Web. 28 March 2016.
“plate, n.” OED Online. Oxford University Press, March 2016. Web. 28 March 2016.