Wow! The oldest meaning of “taste” is “touch”! I kid thee not, here’s the OED.
†1. The sense of touch, feeling (with the hands, etc.); the act of touching, touch.
- 05.015 at least a tasty morsel it’d make us, gollum!’
- 08.007 it proved horrible to taste,
- 09.023 and taste the new wine that has just come in.
- 09.024 I’ll taste with you,
- 09.045 Come give us a taste of your sleeping-draught before we fall to!
- 12.062 (and taste)
- 13.009 and the taste of vapour was on his tongue.
- 15.059 and being besieged inside it was not at all to his taste.
- 19.020 I suppose this is the first taste of it.’
“taste, n.1.” OED Online. Oxford University Press, June 2016. Web. 28 June 2016.