Friends, my tiny little inkling thought has just had (probably not significant) another data point of confirmation. The word “grab” is not used after chapter seven.
I know, I know. I hear what you’re saying. “Sparrow, you laid that ‘high versus low register’ idea to rest over six years ago.” But… but… it’s such a pretty idea. Like “eyebrows“. They don’t appear after Chapter Eight
• 2.050 and grabbed Bilbo by the neck,
• 2.113 Gandalf grabbed it
• 4.016 and they were all grabbed
• 4.016 and when goblins came to grab him,
• 4.019 Grip, grab! Pinch, nab!
• 4.051 was grabbed from behind
• 5.012 which he grabbed with his long fingers as quick as thinking.
• 5.018 otherwise he would have grabbed first
• 5.130 and grabbed as the hobbit flew over him,
• 6.010 if a goblin had suddenly grabbed your legs from behind
• 6.028 which killed the goblins that were grabbing him
• 7.067 and grabbed the hobbit
• 7.073 I was not grabbed.