Over a hundred species grow tall within the genus Pinus – I would love to hear from a botanist Tolkienist which species our author may have been thinking of in his imagination.
The meaning “to long” is not present in the work.
• 01.079 The pines were roaring on the height,
• 06.041 They slid into the edge of a climbing wood of pines
• 06.045 down the gentle slopes of a pine forest
• 06.052 in a huge pine with regular branches sticking out at intervals
• 06.052 a large pine standing at the very edge of the glade.
• 19.014 Sigh no more Pine, till the wind of the morn!